Re: [LUG] Linux and Firewire

Julian Hall wrote:
> Latest news:
>
> Plug in External HD I get this[1]  (apologies for the length - didn't
> want to miss anything vital. It automounts - WinXP keeps killing the
> format of the damn thing - known Windows XP problem - so I can't
> actually check R/W to it but it *is* seen.

Certainly looks like the fire wire bit worked, it barfed on a ntfs mount
 so it must have been talking to know there was ntfs there.

By the way if a kernel module barfs in this way sometimes a reboot is
necessary as that kernel module jams up and keeps devices and file
handles open and you won't get a 2nd go out of it. Sometimes it is not
as critical it depends on the context of the function (if it was atomic
or not)

> So the HD looks OK, but the Dazzle still gives errors trying to cap
> with dvgrab.  'no such file or handle'

I think you are missing a kernel module/driver.

Its a bit like plugging a usb device in. The usb system detects the
device but it is useless with out the driver to go with it. Have you
googled around for a driver. Prehapse you just need to modprobe a driver
 you already have?

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk