Re: [LUG] Linux and Firewire

Julian Hall wrote:

> tail: error reading `/var/log/syslog': Is a directory
> tail: /var/log/syslog: cannot follow end of this type of file; giving

That was unexpected, I am use to syslog being the main system log. May
by they have just placed the log in a syslog sub dir?

It also appears that the log is not very verbose by default but canbe
changed by

http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?t=25665&sid=ca583d78d62253cdbe8a4d7cef4b1cf2

> dmesg is long - I'll try to snip as much of what looks irrelevant to me :)

Yes it is, its in time order most recent event at the bottom

dmesg | tail

will be slightly more graceful inly showing some of the most recent entries.

On some systems you can also

cat /proc/kmsg

to see the new entries only as they are added to the kernel message ring
buffer.

> NATALIE:/home/julian# dmesg

nothing firewire related in that first dmesg log, its not seeing the
external drive at all. A bit odd it should at least acknowledge a
firewire device even if it dosn't then know what to do.

> This added to the end of the previous dmesg when I plugged the Dazzle in:
>
> ieee1394: Current remote IRM is not 1394a-2000 compliant, resetting...
> ieee1394: Node added: ID:BUS[0-00:1023]  GUID[0003f30000005f96]
> ieee1394: Node changed: 0-00:1023 -> 0-01:1023
> ieee1394: unsolicited response packet received - no tlabel match
> ieee1394: raw1394: /dev/raw1394 device initialized

This looks better, the firewire has at least enumerated so then the
higher level driver can take over (if present)

> I figured lsmod may be useful to show you as well (snipped for
> relevancy again):
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> raw1394                31724  0
> dv1394                 21068  0
> ohci1394               33924  1 dv1394
> ieee1394              318772  3 raw1394,dv1394,ohci1394

This can be misleading I don't think it shows any userspace dependence
on modules only internal kernel modules dependence on each other. That
dv1394 looks promising but nothing in dmesg so it suggest that it did
not recognise the device other wise you would have seen (maybe?) some
"dv1394: Adding /dev/dv" or something suggesting operation.

Are there any specific drivers for the Dazzle thing?

Regards

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk