Re: [LUG] Linux and Firewire

On 9/1/06, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1.  Simple I hope.  I have an external Firewire HD.  How do I mount
> this please so that Linux sees it when it is plugged in, and not when
> it isn't?  At the moment Linux see it not at all.

Do you see anything in syslog (tail -f /var/log/syslog) or kernel
message buffer (dmesg) when you plug in the device

> 2.  More difficult probably.  I have a Dazzle DV Bridge for A/V
> capture.  It connects by Firewire and Windows XP sees it OK - caveats
> about Windows XP being flaky with Firewire apply, but when it sees it
> the device works properly.  I have Googled to try and find out how to
> get Linux to see the device - I have installed dvgrab but that says
> 'no such file/handle'.

Again anything appearing in syslog or using dmseg

The first thing to determine is linux identifying the hardware being
plugged in. Is it noting that somthing was plugged in the port and has
it tried to load a driver to support it.

Possibly option 1 may just be working and appearing as a /dev/sc??
device. Let us know what the logs show

Regards

--
Robin Cornelius