Re: [LUG] Simpler Apache Virtual Hosts + SSL?

Simon Waters wrote:

> Indeed, but in a world of corporate firewalls you don't want to be
> forcing use of non-standard ports, especially on the bit that collects
> your income.

Oh, agreed.  I commented merely to illustrate the way it works.

>> I can't think of any other way to achieve that without exposing some of
>> the request details, which is what HTTPS is trying to avoid in the first
>> place.
>
> I'm sure name based virtual hosting with encryption is perfectly easy,
> just as TLS does it for SMTP.

TLS doesn't provide different certificates for each different domain for
which the MX accepts email though, does it?  AIUI TLS merely provides an
encrypted connection so anyone intercepting the data can't read it,
whereas HTTPS has an additional authentication component that's supposed
to guarantee that you really are exchanging data with who you think
you're exchanging data with.  (I don't bother much with encrypted SMTP,
so I can't recall the full details.)

James