Re: [LUG] Simpler Apache Virtual Hosts + SSL?

Simon Williams wrote:
> Kai Hendry wrote:
>
>>VirtualDocumentRoot
>>
>>That's what really set Apache apart.
>
> Very useful, thanks.

Afraid we went through the various virtual hosting shortcuts and threw
them out in favour of scripting.

This was discussed in the archive, as Theo (the crazy g{r}eek) even
wrote his own module that allows dynamic reconfiguration of Apache
virtual hosting from a database directly. I suspect long dead....

We use to use "mod_rewrite" which can do almost anything if you can put
up with the arcane syntax. These things work fine if you have N
identically configured vhosts, but as soon as you want to make one
different from the rest they get in your way, and you spend more time on
the exceptions that you save on the common case.

The Apache 2 separate file per vhost makes sense to me. Allows isolation
of changes, and even easy migration between servers.

It is an old pattern (put a file in a directory for something extra)
that is still working its way through Debian config, so you can now drop
a cron job in /etc/cron.daily rather than adding a line to crontab. But
there are still some files with simple lists that persist (passwd and
group being the obvious ones).

>>>subnet). Unfortunately, my Internet IP is dynamic.
>>
>>Get a static one. ;)
>
> I've been trying for ages, but I can't find any ISP's which do them
> without paying extra.

UKFSN supply them as standard as far as I can tell. You may need more
than one, that might cost extra (see below).

>>I am sure you could do a neat SSL setup with VirtualDocumentRoot too.
>
> How do I get round the "this certificate is for someone else do you want
> to use it anyway?" thing? How do I dynamically configure different certs?

You need an IP address per certificate, as the certificate is the first
thing sent down the line when an https connection is made. This is a sad
hangover from the days before name based virtual hosting, and why we
still get away with charging extra if you want hosting with its own IP
address.

  Simon