[LUG] Remote Access to a Central Box (LTSP et al)

Hi,

Can I qualify this mail by saying I am a fairly new user to Linux (I
currently use Xandros 3.0 but have dabbled with Suse, Mandrake and
Slackware) so forgive me if the questions I pose are naive to you harden
Linux
buffs.

I would like to have a central box with terminals hanging off it around the
house so I can play music, surf the web and (if I ever get that clever)
control X10 devices all via very minimal terminal type machines (i.e. no
major hardware that will all be in the central box) connected via Ethernet
not wireless (my walls are too thick, like me!).

I can't though discern the difference between something like the Linux
Terminal Server Project and Remote X as to which would be better for my
needs; I know LTSP allows local USB devices etc to be treated as if they are
on the main system but if that is the only difference between the two
systems then I would rather not use it.

As I see it LTSP is really a Distro on a distro so why not stick Dsl,
Xandros or whatever on a USB Key or something and use that to Remote X to
the central box? Is there limits to how many X systems can run off the same
box at the same time?

I would really appreciate some help here becuase the connection betweeen
'Terminal' and 'Server' is a big stumbling block for me which I can't seem
to get over.

Thanks in advance for any help and apologies if I've made any faux pas with
mail etiquete as this is my first mailing.

Regards,
Dave.