[LUG] Access alternatives on GNU/Linux

For those who remember previous discussions on M$ Access vs GNU/Linux
databases, I've found some useful utilities that can do this kind of
job. They are still Gtk1 so if anyone fancies a project, there's scope
here for each to be ported to Gtk2 before Gtk1 itself is dropped from
more distributions.

apt-get install gaby

apt-get install quicklist

quicklist creates databases on-the-fly in Gtk.

Gaby is a nice query interface and data entry interface.

Just goes to show, even someone actively involved in developing query
systems for Debian can miss existing query implementations!

I've only just found these but if they work out as useful in my own
work, I'm going to look at each more closely to work out data exchange
methods. Then I'll recommend or suggest them from my own packages to do
something to increase their visibility.

That'll be fine for me (as a GUI agnostic) but these apps need an update
to Gtk2 to make them acceptable as a recommendable substitute for
Access. Anyone with C experience could make a substantial contribution
to GNU/Linux simply by transitioning one or both of these to Gtk2.

Volunteers?

--

Neil Williams