Re: [LUG] Recovering a cdrom

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have been given a cdrom that is corrupt in some way, it was ok but
> either it has just gone bad or somebody as managed to write something to
> it using that horrible built in cd writer software in win XP. Its a CD-R
> not a RW if that makes a real difference.
>
> As usual it contains *important* (sigh) data and it is not backed up
> (bigger sigh).
>
> Linux can't even mount, reports this
>
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 64
> isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdd, iso_blknum=16, block=16
>
> Windows just shows one folder that contains itself!
>
> Any ways to get a raw read from the CD and attempt to parse the data
> file for anything meaningful. It has some jpegs on it that the person
> would like to recover if possible. Any nice linux tools for this kind of
> work? Can I dd the cdrom at all? tried and it didn't seem to do anything
> useful just kept reading and generated a large file with nothing in it.
>

> TIA
If you have access to a Debian system, install "sleuthkit" and
"foremost".  The latter can recover files by finding their headers and
trailers within the raw data... but it's quite finicky and awkward to
use (and it doesn't seem to recover filenames very easily, if at all).
The former contains over 20 utilities for reading/manipulating files/data.

As with Simon's advice, if you can make an image of the disc and work
with that - it should be a bit quicker than using the raw disc itself!

Grant.