[LUG] Recovering a cdrom

Hi Guys,

I have been given a cdrom that is corrupt in some way, it was ok but
either it has just gone bad or somebody as managed to write something to
it using that horrible built in cd writer software in win XP. Its a CD-R
not a RW if that makes a real difference.

As usual it contains *important* (sigh) data and it is not backed up
(bigger sigh).

Linux can't even mount, reports this

ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdd, iso_blknum=16, block=16

Windows just shows one folder that contains itself!

Any ways to get a raw read from the CD and attempt to parse the data
file for anything meaningful. It has some jpegs on it that the person
would like to recover if possible. Any nice linux tools for this kind of
work? Can I dd the cdrom at all? tried and it didn't seem to do anything
useful just kept reading and generated a large file with nothing in it.

TIA

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk