Re: [LUG] You dont wnat to do it like that.....

Matt Lee wrote:
> On 09/07/06, Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> OOo is a wonderful bark up the wrong tree, in the wrong forest!
>> Replacing MSoffice with another office just reinforces the idea that
>> MSOffice is useful. It may be useful to FLOSS in making people aware of
>> open source software but it doesn't actually solve any of the real
>> problems associated with it.
>> If 1/100 the effort spent on OOo had been spent on making a web based
>> office - see http://www.fckeditor.net/
>>

> <snip>
>
> Web based word processing? Are you serious? As a writer, I can tell
> you that I get all the best stuff written when I'm not on the network,
> in fact, I get my best stuff written when I sit under the trees in
> Hyde Park.
>
> I don't think we need web based word processing. I think web mail is
> pretty neat, and I think web based IM might have some usage, and even
> a web interface to my calendar that syncs from my desktop machine, but
> no, I'd like to keep my own mail and my own files on my own server (or
> a server of a trusted associate) wherever possible, thanks.
>
> matt

When I say web based I should have really expanded to say
browser/webserver based. That way you can work on your local webserver
when not connected, or as you please.
Web based word processing is here and once companies realise they can
use it to save 90% of their IT budget it will take off!
Tom te tom te tom.