Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Yahoo, Microsoft tie message knot]

On 7/13/06, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Rob Beard wrote:
> >  From what I've read they are connecting their networks together.
> > Shouldn't matter too much to Linux users anyway, the Yahoo Messenger was
> > (and most probably still is) a load of pants.  I'd much rather use
> > something like Gaim.
> >
> > Rob
> I use GAIM too.. I thought it needed to know the Yahoo protocol to
> connect to Yahoo users.  I can't see MS letting that go on much longer.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

I'm suprised it has taken this long for MSN and Yahoo to open up.  It
should have happened back in 2001 when AOL got doled out the
restriction in their merger where if they use videochat, they have to
open up their IM network to 3rd parties.

Hehe, I can specter the thought of AOL having to open up to IRC servers.

It's a shame there are no plans for MSN & Yahoo to open up video
conferencing between networks.  Mobile phone networks are surpassing
these 'technology suppliers' on this front, for shame.