Re: [LUG] Browser war II (Was: (Another rant) [Fwd: Microsoft shuts down Windows 98])

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

> Indeed it is.  Which is why i pointed out (and you took great offence in) that
> IE 7 will cause more problems for open source software, as it will support
> all the standards you are banging on about, thus removing the need for people
> to want to move to firefox.

Have you check how well they do on that score?

As far as I could figure out from the documentation they were filling in
a few gaps on the CSS level 2 support, but it didn't look like the major
standards were being advanced much at all (SVG, Xforms etc). Of course
some, or all of these maybe done with plug-ins, but that isn't ideal.

I don't have a box to hand to try the beta on, but I got the feeling
Firefox, Safari and Opera would still be ahead for a bit as regards
standards on launch day of IE7.

Not that I think most people running Firefox know or care much about
standards except for some website designers. I think it is security, and
 ease of use that sell Firefox on Windows. Firefox on Windows still
seems a bit rough around the edges to me, but then I probably only see
it when it isn't working right. I suspect tabbed browsing in IE will
make the Firefox sell far harder than which bits of CSS 2 are supported
(and has IE sorted that open a Window to the same location default in IE7?).

Anyway enough of this MS Windows chatter....

Can we get back to DBIx examples, or should I go ask the Perl mongers ;)