Re: [LUG] (Another rant) [Fwd: Microsoft shuts down Windows 98]

On 12/07/06, Theo Zourzouvillys <theo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 12 July 2006 06:36, Richard Brown wrote:
> I refer to my previous post and look forward to seeing you hack like mad!

A very easy work around for position:fixed by the way is:

<!--[if version >= 5.5 and version < 7 etc]>
  psotion: absolute;
  left: auto;
  right: auto;
  top: _expression_((calculate window offset + height - element size) + 'px');
[endif]-->

bit jerkey, but does the job in ie 5.5 + 6.

I can think of just as many hacks in other browsers to get it to support
things that the browser does not yet claim to support (opacity for CSS 3 for
example).

> I can't say whether it is or it isn't but it certainly doesn't comply to any
> standards

Can you tell me which standards it did not at least support as well as it's
competitors at the time it was released?  you said *ANY* standards. I think
you might just be wrong.

you are aware what the major alternative browser was when IE6 came out, right?

look: another unfounded statement against "the evil empire":

I can't say whether it is or it isn't but it certainly doesn't comply to any
standards

Internet Explorer 6 does not comply to the following standards:

HTML 4.01
XHTML 1.0
XHTML 1.1
CSS 2
CSS 3
Document Object Model

All of these predate IE6 by a year or more, with exception to CSS 3, which is not yet an official Recommendation, and XHTML 1.1, which predates IE6 by about six months, and DOM, whose dating I have been unable to determine.

Anyone wishing to use CSS with IE must ensure that they hack their way around its bugs, or contrain themselves to CSS1.
Then there is the MIME bug.
Suffice to say, nearly every web developer hates IE if they care about making their work cross-browser; nowadays, I code for Firefox 1.5 and am satisfied that any standards-compliant browser will support it. I simply don't care about IE; why should I adapt my code to work around a client-based bug? Similarly, I don't think Firefox et al should have to bloat themselves to work around bugs in code.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382