Re: [LUG] Freeview cards & Linux

James Fidell wrote:

> Agreed. IME PC DVB-T cards are far less tolerant of poor signal quality
> than your average freeview box, sometimes to the point where they just
> won't pick up a signal that a freeview box has no trouble with.

"Depends"...

I've done quite a bit of research on this in my quest to build a decent
home theatre setup. (Postponed for now, can't find any *decent*
software, nor is my purpose built shuttle-based pc quiet or fast enough)

Tested (under windows, but we're talking about signal strenghts not
drivers) in a very poor signal area (We technically do not have Digital
coverage according to the BBC)

Generic digitv box. 8/10 - when poor signal artifacts and issues loud
white noise which is acoustically horrible. Occasionally locks up and
needs powercycle.

Twinhan "Magic Box" usb dvb tuner. 4/10. Need stronger signal than I can
typically achieve. Also locks up after period of use. Drivers horrible.

Twinhan analogue usb tuner. 5/10. Cheap and nasty.

Avermedia 777 DVB-T pci. 5/10. Again, very poor with a weak signal. Step
up from the twinhan but not by much.

Hauppuage Win-TV 2000 pci. 8/10. And the one currently recording quite
well and easily outperforms all the others including the digibox for
coping with a poor signal.

So yes, most are worse than the most basic set-top box but they don't
need to be. One thing that does hold true for all the above PC tuners is
that they take a *long* time to change channel. Typically 1-5 seconds
between channels. The digibox does it in a fraction of a second.

btw, anyone wanting to play and building a media PC, there's a lot of
pitfalls. The most notable is the lack of *good* software. Mediaportal
is by far the best I found that wasn't MCE (which costs a fortune to buy
and subscribe), MP is opensource but runs on windows. Linux stuff I had
no joy at all with, geekbox, myth and some others I tried just flat out
refused to work for me.