Re: [LUG] Firefox won't start up

Mark Evans wrote:

> It's probably partly to do with having a locking mechanism which is
> portable between several operating systems and partly to do with file
> locking not always working over NFS. Otherwise using fcntl(2) would be
> the most obvious way to do things.

Hadn't pondered the NFS aspect -- although that isn't really an excuse
for not checking for stale locks -- I guess in NFS situations you can't
guarantee the lock is on this computer -- but in such situations it may
be even more crucial to be able to remove it easily as the other
computer may be somewhere else, or winging its way to some far flung
part of the globe.

Still Debian has no excuse of multi operating system compatibility.
Anyone know a good way of reproducing this, except for "kill -9"?