Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Web perils advise switch to Macs]

Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 05/07/06, *Rob Beard* <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Aren't they working on an Open Source video codec?
>

> They mentioned using Theora but until there's a plugin for Windows it
> won't be  all of it. Still, at least their podcasts are available for
> Linux.
>
>     Still eventually we may see the BBC News reporting on Linux as an
>     alternative.  I bet the people in the news room have Macs on their
>     desks!
>

> The presenters have Dells whose screens, I bet, are entirely blank
> (redundant at least.) The live graphics are done by a similar program
> to After Effects (on a Mac, I'm betting.) The prerendered ones are
> done by a Quantel machine or similar. The weather is done by a
> standard PC, Linux and a Geforce 7800 or some such thing as I recall
> the program used is floss. (Connected to a gigantic Met Office
> supercomputer, obviously.) It has abysmal anisotropic filtration. I
> wouldn't be surprised if the whole of the BBC was Mac-based. I
> wouldn't run eight UK channels and some international ones on Windows,
> certainly.
>
> --
> Ben Goodger
> #391382
Ahh, if that Met office computer is in Exeter it won't be far from where
I work.

 From what I've seen of the news on the 9 o'clock news, they look like
they have Dell Lattitude notebooks.  I have one for work, unfortunately
it's got WIndows XP installed.  Luckily we do have SOME open source
stuff where I work.  Our fax server is Debian based for instance.

I do wish the media would recognise the alternatives.  Okay its easy for
them to say 'buy a Mac' but not everyone can afford a new shiney Mac,
even the Mac Mini is pricey.

Rob