Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Web perils advise switch to Macs]

On 05/07/06, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Aren't they working on an Open Source video codec?

They mentioned using Theora but until there's a plugin for Windows it won't be  all of it. Still, at least their podcasts are available for Linux.

Still eventually we may see the BBC News reporting on Linux as an
alternative.  I bet the people in the news room have Macs on their desks!

The presenters have Dells whose screens, I bet, are entirely blank (redundant at least.) The live graphics are done by a similar program to After Effects (on a Mac, I'm betting.) The prerendered ones are done by a Quantel machine or similar. The weather is done by a standard PC, Linux and a Geforce 7800 or some such thing as I recall the program used is floss. (Connected to a gigantic Met Office supercomputer, obviously.) It has abysmal anisotropic filtration. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole of the BBC was Mac-based. I wouldn't run eight UK channels and some international ones on Windows, certainly.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382