Re: [LUG] Databases part 3

Neil Winchurst wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:35:12 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Probably the simplest solution for your assumptions is LAMP. It provides
the same MVC that you describe. The model is the detail of the database
tables, indices and such. This can (and should) be hidden from the
ordinary users by creating the view. The controller is then adapting the
view using the model - showing only the data that the view uses.

You sent me a very long and detailed email, and I would like to thank
you and all other lug members who have replied to my original email. I
now realise that I have to have a big rethink about the whole approach
to creating and working with databases. Windows led me astray. I
suppose that the only thing I can say in its favour was that, in return
for leaving me with very little control, it made setting up a database
for my clients quicker and easier for me. But I do accept now that it
was a "Bad Thing"!!

Much more research needed, and I will do just that. Meanwhile, just one
question. LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, Mysql and PHP, yes? Or the
letter P could be for Perl or Python. I don't know Perl or PHP but I
do know Python. Is that acceptable or should I make the effort to learn
one of the others? And if so which one?

And, since it appears that PHP is a scripting language, does it replace
_javascript_, or is that needed too? And, unfortunately, I don't know
Apache either. Big sigh...... To have proper control takes a lot of
hard work.

Very gratefully

Neil winchurst

--

Neil Williams

Just to potentially cloud the issue further - there is an implementation of .NET for Linux/MAC etc called mono which allows you to run ASP.NET pages on apache. The only good thing microsoft ever did was make reasonable GUI designers means you can build things easily on windows with Visual Studio and then run them on Linux.
There is  a Linux IDE called monodevelop which may have a web page designer by the end of the summer. Some may be appalled by this but this is all open standards stuff and C# is actually one very good language and though it chokes me to say it Visual Studio is a very good development environment. It the only reason I keep a copy of windows in my house!
Tom - the one going into hiding in a moment