Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Superfast internet cafe launches]

On 28/06/06, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 28/06/06, *Rob Beard* <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Simon Waters wrote:
>     > Adrian Midgley wrote:
>     >
>     >> Rural?
>     >>
>     >
>     > >From what I recall of our trip to Goonhilly, it doesn't get
>     much more
>     > rural than Goonhilly.
>     >
>     > I assume speeds in excess of 2Mbps are available to those close
>     enough
>     > to the exchanges, EVEN in Cornwall. 2Mbps - tsck - DCGLUG
>     members living
>     > in the first quarter of 2006 still ;)
>     >
>     LOL, some of us poor lot are stuck on a 12 month contract with AOL - I
>     blame my girlfriend for that one!
>

> How the hell did you get AOL working with Linux? It took me three
> months to give up!

Just used a router.

At first I used a Thompson SpeedTouch 510v4, but now I'm using a Netgear
wireless ADSL router.

The way of doing it was to dump the awful AOL software and get the
router to login to AOL directly using the username: screenname@xxxxxxx

Thats the thing that wasn't very well documented.  You couldn't just
enter your screen name in the username box, you needed the @aol.com at
the end.  AOL tech support were actually fairly helpful in giving out
that information.

*screams* I did that! I did everything! I even tried it with three different routers! Five distros! None worked at all for anything more complicated than HTTP!

Rob

Ben Goodger
#391382