[LUG] AOL connectivity - was Re: [Fwd: Superfast internet cafe launches]

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 20:30, Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 28/06/06, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How the hell did you get AOL working with Linux? It took me three months to
> give up!
>
> Rob

AOHell works in Linux if you know how ;)  At least the dial up does - no idea
about the dsl product.
Several methods to get dial up - but the least problemtatic is to use a VM
such as Bochs and install Windows in that  - then add your AOL to the VM
windows. But older AOL versions - up to about 6 if I recall correctly - work
with wine to a greater or lesser degree.  There *are* other methods,
including a genuine Linux client which AOL released and removed almost as
fast - which was called Gamera. Although all trace is gone for the casual
searcher, variants can still be found. I have not looked lately, but there
used to be a project for those touchscreen cubicles called openAOL, which was
a basic AOL connection using a Linux system, based on Gamera. A couple of
other similar projects also exist. Several of us looked at them a while
back - but they were all specific to USA dial numbers, which seemed to be
unchangeable. However, one modded version was/could still be available. I
expect I may be able to find it if anyone really wants AOL dial up!
The Peng/Penggy project allows a dial up connection to AOLs numbers - easy
enough, but no AOL portal to see - just the straight dial up access only -
which many see as a bonus ;)

Mark