Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Superfast internet cafe launches]

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 12:40, Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 28/06/06, Mark <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Perhaps instead of spouting about the technology they have, they need to
> > roll
> > out a spot of realistic connectivity to the rest of rural Britain?
>
> Does anyone here actually not have DSL access? My connection is quite slow
> at 1mb but BT are apparently rolling out "up-to-8mb" to the entire nation,
> which as I'm very close to my exchange I will be able to get quite nicely
> (so long as it arrives before I depart for university in 2008.)
>
> Getting DSL in the first place was an arse, to be perfectly frank: the only
> reason we got it in the end was some redevelopment agency paying BT to do
> it. Now we've got it, at least, and it should be relatively trivial to
> implement a replacement of existing digital hardware rather than inserting
> the digital hardware in the first place (exchange-wise.) Perhaps we should
> just wait, as usual?

As I mentioned, mine is 512k. Although the exchange is apparently enabled for
higher speeds (2mb I believe), I am unable to get that. My location is rural
but I am actually quite close to the exchange - the problem lies in the route
BT chose to lay the cable. It runs from the exchange, down the A30, past my
house (which is set about quarter of a mile from the A30), into the local
village, does a circuit of the village and comes back to me via a very long
torturous route across fields - presumably to serve farms in the area.

When the DSL roll out was taking place, we were - at first - "too far" from
the exchange. My chosen ISP went through BT to have the line tested and it
was claimed to be unsuitable because of distance. Interestingly, when I
complained to BT, I was informed that if I chose to have BT , instead of
another ISP, it *may* be possible to get DSL! Of course, a few months later,
the arbitary distances were relaxed and I got the broadband.  Doubtless
eventually a similar thing will occur with speeds. Until then though I am
stuck with a relatively slow line.

Mark