Re: [LUG] unstable with SMP using 2.6 kernel in Etch

Adrian Midgley wrote:

> I did try that ... although there seems to be noacpi as well as acpi=off
> as long as the former isn't a typo for noapic

The manual he says "acpi=off".

There is a "pci=noacpi" which disables ACPI for PCI devices, but no idea
on "noacpi" as an option on its own.

> Nothing displayed.
> For some reason I wonder if it might be
> ide=nodma
> that is required.

Which reason? With just a CD on the IDE bus(?) I doubt it is a DMA issue
unless it only crashes when accessing the CD, or attempting to, or
shortly after accessing CDs.

There is a fair chance GNOME and 2.6 kernels are exercising hotplug, and
the power management software. Although if it really is a 486 there is a
fair chance ACPI is disabled automatically on boot anyway, because I
doubt the BIOS supports it.

> I may try it next (the CD is on /dev/hda and the main drives are
> /dev/sda and b)

Can you describe the hardware a tad more. Does it really have multiple
486 processors, and it isn't in a museum? The bug report referred has
some handy commands for listing relevant hardrware.