Re: [LUG] unstable with SMP using 2.6 kernel in Etch

Simon Waters wrote:
> Adrian Midgley wrote:
>
>> If I boot this machine with the current SMP kernel it runs for a while,
>> longer if GNome is not logged in, I think, and then freezes completely.
>>
>> With the single processor -486- version of the kernel it works fine.
>>
> it is worth trying the kernel option to switch ACPI off (hint you edit
> the grub menu.lst, or for testing just edit the line at boot).

I did try that ... although there seems to be noacpi as well as acpi=off
as long as the former isn't a typo for noapic
> Then again it could be the hardware -- anything logged, anything
> displayed on the console -- any way to reproduce (mind took a dislike to
> the CD player).

Nothing displayed.
For some reason I wonder if it might be
ide=nodma
that is required.

I may try it next (the CD is on /dev/hda and the main drives are
/dev/sda and b)