[LUG] Changing CFLAGS in gentoo

Hi,
Well for a long winded reason I'm changing my current celeron to a nice athlon 64. Now I assume I should change my CFLAGS to include -march=athlon64 -m32 -O2 -pipe -formit-frame-pointer. And yes I want to keep it as a 32 bit system for the time being. Now if I change this in my make.conf and reemerge my whole system will I break it? Secondly if I do wan't to do this what command would I use?

--
Tom (the younger)