Re: [LUG] Changing CFLAGS in gentoo

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:42:50 +0100
"Tom Arrow" <bomarrow1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> Well for a long winded reason I'm changing my current celeron to a
> nice athlon 64. Now I assume I should change my CFLAGS to include
> -march=athlon64 -m32 -O2 -pipe -formit-frame-pointer. And yes I want
> to keep it as a 32 bit system for the time being. Now if I change
> this in my make.conf and reemerge my whole system will I break it?
> Secondly if I do wan't to do this what command would I use?

Be very careful. I've just finished re-installing my system thanks to
not really thinking about what I was doing while messing with CFLAGS
and GCC upgrades.

I'm not sure if this is actually possible, but assuming the system
is currently optimised for the celeron you'll probably find you'll have
to first recompile the entire system to a generic x86 architecture with
the celeron before you can do anything (possibly even boot) on the a64.

It might well be quicker and easier to just save all your config files
(that's probably most things in /etc, your kernel .config and perhaps
your world file to help remind you what to install) somewhere and start
from scratch with the a64. With all my config files already written and
the new kernel compiled with a mixture of my old .config and 'make
oldconfig' I had my system back up and running in about 3 or 4 hours.

Good Luck!

Dan

--
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'
        Salvor Hardin