Re: [LUG] Databases again

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 00:04:03 +0100
> Mark Harvey <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I remember I had trouble with the socket file on Mandriva 2005.
>>
>> I was able to resolve it using the method here:
>> http://www.tech-recipes.com/mysql_tips762.html
>>
>> on my installation my.cnf is in /etc/my.cnf
>>
> This is probably part of my problem, there is no my.cnf file anywhere
> on my computer, so nothing to tell mysql about where to set up a socket
> file.

mysql will run quite happily without a my.cnf file, using the
compiled-in defaults for pathnames etc.

It appears that for some reason the mysql daemon is exiting after
start-up, which might explain why you don't see the socket when you
need it.  I'd expect to find something in /var/log/mysql*,
/var/lib/mysql/*.err or somewhere similar that might explain the
reason for the daemon failing to run correctly.

James