Re: [LUG] Databases

Aaron Trevena wrote:

> Postgres is only friendly if you're used to behemoths like Oracle.

I'm soundly in the school of thought that says SQL based relational
databases should work like Oracle 7.3.4.

The main reason I think I like Postfix is it is more like Oracle 7.3.4
than Oracle 8+. When Oracle went feature and bloat mad, and made what
was a small, elegant, and effective tool into something huge.

I agree there are somethings that MySQL does better, but I'm really not
interested in having to specify with a table how it is stored (or
getting it wrong). Whilst I know what you mean about the Postgres
configuration files, I find the syntax for specifying users in MySQL is
hideous. End up with issues of escaping code for fairly normal kinds of
stuff.

I suspect a lot comes down to which you used first, and so what you
expect. But I think a lot of issues were sorted in Postgres between 7
and 7.4, just as they were in MySQL between 4 and 5 in MySQL.