Re: [LUG] Databases

Neil Winchurst wrote:

>> By proper I mean one which is complete in itself

But the reason people used the Access database (JetDB) with Access was
not that it was good, but that real databases were expensive and
required a lot of management. Once you take away those barriers of
price, and tuning, when proper databases "just work" then why bother?

Probably SQLite is closest, and many things have embedded it.

But I think you mix up what is "bundled together" with what is a
software project. The JetDB project had a life independent of Microsoft
Access, yet you'd probably regard them as one product.

Most of the free software stuff has sought database independence, which
means the Perl hackers here really don't care if it is Postgres, SQLite,
or MySQL (at least most of the time when they are coding), and will
choose the database to fit the scale of the client and the task.