Re: [LUG] Databases

On 18/06/06, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:28:16 +0100
> > Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> There are interfaces for managing MySQL (I much prefer Postgres to MySQL
> >> and would want a good reason to choose MySQL for a task).
> >>
> > Since I am going to try knoda as a front end and it will
> > connect to mysql or postgresql, among others, I don't really mind which
> > I choose. I am very happy to be convinced either way. Would you
> > recommend postgreql over mysql?
>
> Generally yes, I prefer working with Postgres, the syntax is simpler,
> and it tends to "do the right thing" by default. The only exception
> being the default security settings (which the Debian packagers sort
> when they create their package).

As much as I use postgres for serious projects, I'd guess that you'd
find MySQL better suited to your needs -- Postgres still offers a few
"proper RDBMS system" features that MySQL doesn't but I don't think
you will need them.

Also MySQL is far more user friendly and more likely to DWIM whereas
Postgres sticks very strictly to DTRT often making things harder than
they need to be.

Postgres is also harder to administer and maintain and requires
add-ons to provide important stuff like replication, full text
searching, etc.

The MySQL Query Browser and Admin tools (available from the mysql
website) not only look good but give anything but Toad/Tora a good
kicking - postgres has nothing close to them.

Cheers,

A.