Re: [LUG] Farm stock systems

Tom Potts wrote:

> I'm fairly sure the farm system and the wildlife system will be fairly
> disparate applications* - however there are element in common that can
> be used in both - namely the security/access system - I presume some
> kind of login will be required for both.

You really want to talk to people like Aaron first. He'll tell you how
people have built whole hosts of pluggable components for these sorts of
things (then he'll try and sell you on Maypole).

You are leaping into the technology choices too early, and I suspect you
need to talk to people who have done this sort of thing before making
technology choices. People who can tell you what Postgis is, and when it
is a good choice.

> anyone know of floss GIS?

There are a few around, Debian has qgis, and GRASS, already packaged.

I think the first thing you need to do is document exactly what problem
you are trying to solve. Once you know that you'll soon be able to track
the technologies to fit.