Re: [LUG] Is this dangerous? (apt/dpkg question)

Neil Stone wrote:

>Grant Sewell wrote:
>

>>Ok, full list of events:
>>+ Install Stable from the DVD on LinuxUser&Developer magazine this month
>>- thought it might save a few hours of download time, but I think I'll
>>just stick to doing netinsts ;)
>>+ Add "main", "contrib" and "non-free" FTP repositories (currently using
>>the main ftp.uk.debian.org, but will change soon enough) for debs and
>>deb-srcs on both "normal" and "security"
>>+ Apt-get updated successfully
>>+ Apt-get upgraded (still stable) successfully
>>+ Edited sources.list to change to Testing
>>+ Apt-get updated successfully
>>+ Apt-get upgraded successfully
>>+ Apt-get dist-upgraded...
>>

>apt-get -f install
>
>run that at all..?

No, I haven't used "apt-get -f install" at all, however after the first
"apt-get dist-upgrade" some packages failed and it was suggested I use
"-f", so I used "apt-get -f dist-upgrade"... which failed and suggested
I used "dpkg --confure -a", which worked fine so I went back to "apt-get
dist-upgrade", which failed and suggested I use "-f", so I used "apt-get
-f dist-upgrade"... and round again, and again, and again. Each time the
list of packages left to install got smaller and smaller.

Grant.