[LUG] Is this dangerous? (apt/dpkg question)

Hi all,

I have installed Debian Stable onto the new "desktop" machine.  I am in
the process of upgrading it to Testing (I don't think I'll go for
Unstable again just yet... let's get the new network topology working
first).  I have come up against a little issue...

I have updated the sources.list file and run "apt-get update".  Running
"apt-get dist-upgrade" has failed on a few packages, and it suggests
using "-f", so I have duly run "apt-get -f dist-upgrade".  This fails on
some package or other, and suggests I run "dpkg --configure -a", which I
have done.  This completes, so I run "apt-get -f dist-upgrade" again...
which fails on a different packages (but the list of packages left to
install is smaller) and again suggests I run "dpkg --configure -a"...
which I do, and then run "apt-get -f dist-upgrade"... and so the cycle
continues.

I was just wondering if this is going to cause problems at all?  I have
already been through this cycle about 30 times, and the list of packages
left to install is now down to about 60.  It doesn't really matter if it
causes problems as this machine isn't being used productively yet (God
bless laptops), so all I would have lost is time.

Cheers.
Grant.