Re: [LUG] Is this dangerous? (apt/dpkg question)

Ok, full list of events:
+ Install Stable from the DVD on LinuxUser&Developer magazine this month
- thought it might save a few hours of download time, but I think I'll
just stick to doing netinsts ;)
+ Add "main", "contrib" and "non-free" FTP repositories (currently using
the main ftp.uk.debian.org, but will change soon enough) for debs and
deb-srcs on both "normal" and "security"
+ Apt-get updated successfully
+ Apt-get upgraded (still stable) successfully
+ Edited sources.list to change to Testing
+ Apt-get updated successfully
+ Apt-get upgraded successfully
+ Apt-get dist-upgraded...

And this is where we were at.  As it happens, it's now finished
(eventually) and the biggest problem seems to have been libc, although
it took a bit of delving to find this out as libICE seemed to be causing
problems... but then so did a tonne of other things too (not
surprisingly).  An "apt-get --re-install install libcX" (I can't
remember the current libc version in Testing) and most things seem to
have settled down.

It was certainly an experience, but I think I'll stick with doing a
netinst - it may take a good couple of hours, but at least I've not had
any problems with it before.  Indeed, I think I'll blank it and do a
netinst anyway just incase there are some things lurking away just
waiting to cause problems later.

Cheers anyway, Neil.
Grant.