Re: [LUG] ATX server- automatic boot when power restored

Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 30/05/06, *Simon Williams* <systemparadox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:systemparadox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all.
>     My current server has an AT PSU (it's a 266 P1!!!). Because AT PSUs have
>     hard switches, the server comes back on after a power outage.
>     I'm in the process of setting up my new server, but I've realised that
>     because it's a soft switch, I will have to manually turn it on after a
>     power outage.
>     I found a site with BIOS options for my mobo (K7S5A), and one of them is
>     "Restore on AC/Power Loss". But my BIOS does not have that option. I've
>     tried the latest official and modded BIOSes, but still the option does
>     not appear.
>
>     I've noticed that many people on this list also run servers. How do you
>     get them to turn on automatically after a power outage?
>
>     If it's a BIOS option- why didn't I have it all along- and why can't I
>     get it now? Can I do a hardware fix?
>
>     Thanks in advance
>     Simon
>

> This is an uncommon feature in BIOSes - I've never seen it before. You
> may wish to try WakeOnLAN which is essentially a system where you can
> have your router, for instance, broadcasting a packet to the server
> which is picked up and the thing boots. It's used extensively in MythTV
> backends.

Just found a site that says that the option is there, but needs to be
unhidden.

That's a very interesting suggestion. You know of a router than can do that?
I've got a D-Link DSL-300T modem and a DWL-2100AP wireless access point,
both of which you can telnet into (they have some unix variant on them),
but I can't find out how to remount the memory as RW.