Re: [LUG] Welcome return, file servers and Mini-Itx

Richard Brown wrote:

Hi Guys

It has been some time since I last visited this list and whilst I have enjoyed my journey into Mac OS X it really is too expensive for me to continue. This is a welcome return!

I have just built a tower and loaded up Fedora Core 5 and will be building a file server next. I was going to invest in a san drive but then I thought about a raid box and use that as a file server. However, it is an unknown world for me. Any thoughts anyone please?

Finally, I am looking to building a Kiosk for my local town - Lostwithiel. I have recently read the article in Linux Format and it looks interesting. So I am looking for a mini-itx box - maybe components that I can build myself. Anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks.

Well for Mini-ITX boards, you could check out www.mini-itx.com. There are plenty of ideas on there and they have an online store.

How big do you want the kiosk to be? If you don't mind the size, or if the main system can be hidden away, I'd consider something like a Celeron or Sempron processor (not sure on pricing off the top of my head).

If you want touchscreen capability, let me know, I'll try and dig out a number for a place who do touchscreens, or at least the touchscreen bit to go on a normal screen.

With regards to building a system to use as a file server, you may want to consider SME Server (www.contribs.org) which is based on CentOS 4 and has a nice web interface. You can setup shares on that are called iBays, which are pretty much the same as shares on Windows. It also has a web/e-mail server built in, content filtering if you need it and a proxy server & firewall.

I had a brief journey into MacOS X on an old iMac. As much as I liked the interface, as you mention, it was expensive.

Rob

-