Re: [LUG] Freeview cards & Linux

Grant Sewell wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:

I'm hoping I can have another bash at it tonight. I was thinking about it, and although it requires a bit of playing around with the command line, it has been easier than when I tried to help a friend install Windows Media Center Edition. It seems for that if you don't have a 'compatible' tuner card or if you don't buy a pre-built PC off the shelf, it's a pain to get working.

Once I have the TV working, my next job will to be making up a VGA to Scart cable. I've read it's possible with tweaking the X configuration files.

Rob

Ooh... VGA > Scart, eh? I've seen VGA > SVideo before (I have one for the laptop) but I've not heard of the Scart variety. I would be interested in this too.

Yeah, I found a like here http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

Supposidly you can just wire up each pin from the VGA to the scart connector. The only problem is the frequency of the VGA output which is much higher than a standard monitor. I have read elsewhere though you can alter the frequencies in the X configuration files (or in the case of the link above, use a windows app to change the freqencies.

I still haven't got that Freeview card working 100%. I installed Windows last night to see if I could tune the card in with it's own drivers. Got the same results, just BBC channels.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a signal problem as our arial isn't a freeview arial, and AFAIK the cable is standard coax rather than digital cable. I think I'll have to get some replacement cable. Luckily I do have a proper freeview arial in the loft which I just haven't got round to fitting yet.

Rob

-