Re: [LUG] Buying a digital camera

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Any help/advice gratefully accepted....!!!

Almost all modern cameras have an option to present as a USB storage
device, and I expect Digikam handles this as well.

Even more recently Picture transfer protocol is available, but that is a
rather more variable feast from what I gather in terms of compatibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol

Any camera supporting both of those is likely to "just work". Although
on his old HP camera I think Matt has to enable the USB storage mode as
PTP didn't work for some reason.

Can't say for KDE, but GNOME handles the USB storage nicely, I think it
has a list of Cameras somewhere, as somehow it figures out that the USB
storage device is a camera and "does the right thing", rather than its
old habit of just putting an icon on your desktop which opened as
nautilus view of the photos and expected you to drag and drop them
somewhere.

Of course this is all based on experiments on other peoples kit, my
Digital Camera is so old and proprietary I can't get pictures off it
since I deleted the last version of MS Windows in the house. But if I
cared, I'd buy a new camera.

-