Re: [LUG] Village Broadband

If it is the SWGFL, you can get on it, but for a pretty penny and pre-censored/filtered internet.

http://www.rm.com/primary/Products/Product.asp?cref=PD352066

I work in a couple schools.  They (RM) have recently changed their policy where if "criminal" activity takes place, they automatically submit that information to the police, who come unannounced.  I am not to say whether the same sort of action would be taken on individual home users of the above service.

It may however, just be BT rolling out their upgraded network.  See http://www.faster.bt.com/faqs.asp

On 5/12/06, James Wonnacott <jwon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Henry Bremridge wrote:
> We are connected to broadband: BT supply at 1 Mb at the moment and ukfsn
> are promising 2.5Mb once I change ISP in the near future (not 8 as we
> are not close enough to the local box)
>
> However I now discover that "the Government" has laid a fibre-optic
> cable to the village edge. I believe with the intention of providing
> "broadband" to the local primary school
>
> Two questions
>
> -   Does anyone know where I could go to find out more about the
>     capacity of this school broadband, timing, budget etc?
>
> -   Does anyone know of a way in which the village could use the
>     fibreoptic cable to improve everyones broadband connection. Cheaply
>
> Many thanks
>
> Henry

Assuming you are in The South West (sorry I don't know your location).
The fibre will have been installed (probably by BT) for The South West
Grid for Learning (run by RM PLC) and it will be leased for their use only.

James

-