Re: ISP outages - was Re: [LUG] Permisssion denied even to root

Peter Walker wrote:
Keith Abraham wrote:

Apologies for not replying sooner. My ISP and it's mail server
has been down for most of the day and is still somewhat iffy.

I'll do a reiserfsck --check on the HD using a live cd sometime this
evening. Hopefully I maight then have some indication if I have a
corrupt fs or a hd failure.

Sorry Simon I'm on a pension so HDs aren't cheap to me.

Keith

Keith,

Are you with Metronet? I've had 2 major outages since +net took them
over, had hoped all the panic from users after the takeover was an over
-reaction, now I'm not so sure.

Yep. I've been using Metronet since early 2004 without much to complain about. They had friendly, knowledgeable staff who were Linux savvy. Ditto with their sister
mail company port995.com

Before the takeover by PlusNet I regularly had download speeds of 118-121 KB/sec and if I remember correctly only had 1 minor outage (attributed to BT). Since Plusnet took over in Nov 2005 I've had 2 large outages and regular download speeds of
86-88 KB/sec.

Looks to me as if Plusnet's bad reputation is well deserved. I'm thinking seriously of
getting my MAC and moving on although PlusNet also has a bad reputation for
problems when you migration away from them.

Keith

-