Re: [LUG] Permisssion denied even to root

>> ls -l /usr/share/apps/kmail/icons/crystalsvg
>> total 0
>> ?--------- ? ?    ?     ?            ?
>> /usr/share/apps/kmail/icons/crystalsvg/128x128
>> ?--------- ? ?    ?     ?            ?
>> /usr/share/apps/kmail/icons/crystalsvg/scalable
>> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 72 Dec 25 22:30 16x16
>> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 72 Dec 25 22:30 22x22
>>
>> and
>>
>> ls -l /usr/share/apps/kmail/about/
>> total 24
>> ?--------- ? ?    ?        ?            ?
>> /usr/share/apps/kmail/about/kmail.css
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1607 Sep 10  2005 main.html
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17996 Sep 10  2005 top-right-kmail.png
>>

> chmod ?

Chmod wouldn't explain the lack of time stamp or permissions.

The time stamp, and ownership, and permissions are all kept in a files
inode, the file name part is stored in the directory (not the inode), so
the results are plausibly consistent with a directory entry for a
non-existent, or corrupt, inode. i.e. filesystem corruption.

Of course it could be something I don't know as well as filesystem
basics, possibly ACLs or similar, but I doubt it.

fsck will usually sort the filesystem, but it could be a disk problem,
often hard to separate the two. Since disks are so cheap, probably
better to replace it anyway if the OP can't figure out which it is.

-