Re: [LUG] household names that use GNU/Linux

Ian bell wrote:

> Doesn't MSN use a lot of Linux servers because they are 'more reliable'?

Don't think so.

MSN Messenger is run off 25 Windows 2003 servers.

The MSN Web stuff appears to be all ASP on IIS.

Hotmail used BSD for some tasks.

Hotmail and Microsoft corps used Solaris fairly extensively in the past.
I even saw reports that they were still using Solaris in 2005 in parts
of Hotmail.

I believe it is all gone now.

But I tend to the view that even if Microsoft does use Microsoft
software, they don't have to pay for it, will never be audited by
Microsoft representatives, probably get priority support, and they
probably chose it for political not reasons of technical merit.

Similarly SUN used Solaris everywhere, for better or worse.

HP were the oddity, as they went Microsoft in a big way early on,
despite having a very well regarded server range with possibly one of
the best reputations for stability. Last I heard they had 15,000 Linux
boxes and counting internally, but I'd be fascinated to know what the
mix is. Some documents claim they have as many as 3 times as many
computers on the HP Intranet as there are employees, which is possible
but seems unlikely.

-