Re: [LUG] Eclipse Internet billing screwup

Julian Hall wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:

Hi folks,

Hi Rob,

I was just wondering if anynoe on here has had problems with Eclipse Internet's billing?

I was a customer with Eclipse back in December 2001 up until October 2002. No problems with the connection as such, but it turns out they had major billing problems. I thought the payments were coming off my ex-wife's credit card,

Can her credit card company provide records or is that too long ago? Four years so not sure. (I'm assuming you wouldn't keep statements that long... not many people would). Secondly, why have they taken so long to make the claim? They have admitted that it is *their* billing problem, so why are you being held accountable?

I'm not longer on good terms with my ex-wife. We've both moved (separately) about 4 times since I was living at the address where I had Eclipse. I don't keep my own bank statements for 4 years (haven't got the room for lots of paperwork). I think they took a fairly long time as they found that there were a few accounts who had 'not paid' when they did an audit, which I am assuming is when Kingston Communications took over. I don't know how I legally stand about being accountable. I've been looking through numerous backup CDs from back then (luckily I still have some) and I'm trying to find copies of letters I sent back then. I'm pretty certain I have a copy of the letter I sent to Eclipse back then. I remember the exact day I moved, it was 12th October 2002 which was my wedding aniversary (not that I was celebrating after splitting with my ex-wife). I think I might have to speak to a solicitor about this. I don't want to take Eclipse's word for me being liable. I'd rather find out from someone in the know if I am legally accountable.

I also think they are being overly heavy-handed making their *first* approach to you via a debt collection agency. That makes me think they have more customers to contact than their systems can handle so they've passed it to an outside body.

Yep, I'd agree with that. The debt collection agency said that they had send previous letters but I haven't received anything from them or Eclipse about the matter. I read a while ago on ADSL Guide that other people had similar experiences with Eclipse.

(including being told that I had a connection with them for 8 months after I left the house I was living in!).

Server logs. They have to prove you connected. When I worked in TS we could get records to show a) when a customer connected, b) what telephone number they connected from. They need to be able to prove to you that your account was used as long as they claim.

If they *can* prove that, and you can prove you were not in residence, then someone else used it after you left.

It was an ADSL connection so if anyone used the connection they would have needed to know my Eclipse ADSL login details. You're right though, they should have logs. I remember a friend of mine who used to work at Plus Net. I took an ADSL connection from Plus Net when I moved to Derby (mainly because my mate would get commission from my connection). He checked the connection status for me and said 'omg, your modem has been trying to login for about a day and it's left lots of errors in the logs'. This makes me think IF the connection was being used it should show up in a log file, where as if it wasn't there would be no log entries. I'm sure alarm bells would be ringing if a connection was left unused for 8 months.

Rob

-