[LUG] Prblem with webuser perms (suexec?)

Hi I am building a CGI app to used locally and I have hit a wall.

I want users to be able to select a file and then that file is passed
to another program (ffmpeg in this case). However apache cannot access
the home directory as permissions do not allow x perms.

I have tried using suexec but docs seem a little sparce. This what I have

/var/www/cgi-bin/username/script
(owned by user and perms rw_____)

suexec is enabled (as per logs on startup)

But I still get permission denied error - is there anything else I
have to do to get it to work. (I dont want to do anything that affects
httpd.conf)

Does anyone know of a solution/howto/workaround on this.

Thanks for any help in advance.

-