Re: [LUG] Broadband providers

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:53:16 +0100
Peter Lloyd-Jones <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 09:30, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
> " and don't  even mention AOL or BT."
>
> Hi Neil
>
> I can understand your concern about AOL but what is wrong with BT.  I use
> force9 and I have a sneaky suspicion there is a connection somewhere?
>
> I ask because like you I do not wish for a contract, but if I were to change I
> would like to know what is wrong with BT?
>
> BTW I have had no problems with force9
>
> Peter

This is historical really. I remember the days before BT when all
communications were run by the GPO (General Post Office). In those far
off days local calls (up to 30 miles) were not timed. This meant
virtually free for most people as the majority of calls made then were
local.

When the government of the day in their wisdom decided to split the GPO
into Royal Mail and BT one of the first acts of BT was to change local
calls to timed, that is to so much per minute. This suddenly made most
calls very expensive.

Since then I have looked upon BT as the second greediest company in the
world (can you guess who is number one?).

Since I hate greedy companies I avoid BT wherever possible.

Neil Winchurst

-