Re: [LUG] Turboprint - again.

Julian Hall wrote:
Fair enough.  I'm curious now about the 'Bendino' chip in my
Pinnacle.  I've searched again for any scraps of info on it in Google,
with no result.  My lspci -vv for the device (which I sent to the
developer originally as well) is:

Hi Julian,

That tells you a certain amount but the most useful thing for chipset identification are the numbers written on the chips themselves. Often on video cards you can find a whole bunch of common chips that do NTCS/PAL output macrovision, nicam or mpeg encoders/decoders, these chips are often controlled from a central ASIC or FPGA etc, once you can talk to the bus controller then the other chips are often hooked up via I2c buses and the like so you get a know chip connected via a known bus protocol. I have come across this with the winTV cards in particular that use about 5 different drivers for different parts of the board linked by i2c. Unfortunately i know very little about reverse engineering PCI bus devices.

Regards

Robin

-