Re: [LUG] Oracle Linux?

Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> Having a dedicated distro that will install and set up a dedicated
>> server running Oracle sounds interesting,  optimise the operating system
>> to suit, however I don't understnad why they have to buy an existing
>> product,  they could simply say use an existing distribution and modyify
>> it to work integrate with oracle better.
>>

> I'd assume they have only slight interest in the actual code, correctly
> viewing this as a commodity, but would wish to acquire a social machine
> (IE a company with distribution channel etc etc) capable of continuing
> to produce distribute and support it, as well as to say it was A Good
> Thing.

Oracle are probably more interested in the lost sales opportunities than
the whole infrastructure of supporting a distro.

They discussed an Oracle appliance years ago, and had serious discussion
with HP, who then shipped HP-UX optimised for Oracle anyway, and were at
the cutting edge performance wise with PA-RISC technology. Oracle
discussed doing an appliance, which "just ran Oracle".

There isn't a huge gain in the database market for a closed appliance.
Compared to database maintenance the big server OSes are easy to
maintain, and features like configurable "cron" can reduce cost of
ownership over an appliance. But from a sales perspective it is a big
win for Oracle, as people will come to them for "everything"
(hardware/os/integration work) on big database projects.

Clearly Oracle see most future revenue coming from services, and whilst
they don't do "the whole system", they must lose some business to IBM or
Redhat, where buyers start with a "who will run the OS" approach to
their purchase of services or consulting.

-