Re: [LUG] Oracle Linux?

On Monday 17 April 2006 3:09 pm, Keith Abraham wrote:
> What do you think of this..
>
> http://news.ft.com/cms/s/7354696c-cd86-11da-afcd-0000779e2340.html

Depends if they intend to put Oracle under the GPL. Somehow I doubt it.

Makes me glad Debian can't be sold to anyone. (It's volunteers only.)
:-)

Mandrake -> Mandriva, Caldera -> oblivion, SuSE -> Novell -> Oracle ?

GNU/Linux needs strong commercial partners like IBM, RedHat / Ubuntu and
strong community partners like Debian / Fedora. Maybe Oracle will join that,
maybe not. In some ways, I'd prefer that Oracle do something similar to
Canonical.

My worry is for SuSE users who may fear their distro becoming a database
server release and lagging behind with non-Oracle stuff like KDE or Gnome.

--

Neil Williams