Re: [LUG] GnuCash

On Saturday 15 April 2006 6:49 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > Going back to your suggestion about gnucash, now I am having problems
> > with that.

GnuCash developer right here. I need specific information. Distro, distro
version, platform, gnucash version, where did you get gnucash to build?, what
commands did you use? did you read the README?

GnuCash 1.8 is the current stable release. 1.9.x is for developers ONLY and
must not be used with any important data.

GnuCash 1.8 is available for every GNU/Linux distribution that I've come
across as a precompiled binary. Do NOT attempt to use 1.9.x or SVN for your
important data. The gnucash website is smothered with clear and dire warnings
about NOT using 1.9.x for real data.

> > First error, it couldn't find /usr/share/guile/slib/mklibcat. When I
> > checked the file was actually there as mklibcat.scm. So I copied it to
> > mklibcat without the extension and tried again.

Wrong. You NEVER simply copy or rename packaged files to suit. GnuCash is
expecting a specific file. .scm is source code, gnucash is expecting the
binary!!!

This is a complex build, you must now purge slib from your system - including
all dependencies - and install it again. Be warned that removing it may cause
complaints because you've tampered with the packaged files.

When you su to root to do things like this, you are expected to know what you
are doing. Please don't blindly hack files in /usr/ - you can completely
trash the system.

If a file does not exist, you haven't set up the software properly. You do NOT
simply remove the extension from a file!

> > Second error message, it couldn't open /usr/share/guile/slibcat.
> > Permission denied.

You are telling gnucash to try to open a text file as a binary file. Now
that's something that you simply cannot do - except on Windows.
;-)

> > When I checked I couldn't find such a file.  In fact
> > guile doesn't contain any files at all, only folders.

Because it's not properly built.

Please, ALWAYS specify your precise distribution before you start discussing
ANY software on the lists.

--

Neil Williams