Re: [LUG] Serious problem with ubuntu apt-get

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 1:00 pm, Mike Martin wrote:
> When I try to install the package jack I get this

Jack is incompatible with python 2.4 which is becoming the default version of
python in Debian and therefore Ubuntu.

Your best option is to wait for jack to be updated.

Check the developer information to see how often it's being updated:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/j/jack.html

Then check the bug reports:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=jack

Maybe report a bug that jack makes X number of packages uninstallable due to
the problem with python2.4.

> python2.4 python2.4-adns python2.4-apt python2.4-cairo
> python2.4-clientcookie python2.4-crypto python2.4-dbus python2.4-dictclient
> python2.4-egenix-mxdatetime
>
> What is going on here? - anyone any ideas (fedora looks very good at the
> moment)

The clue is all those python-2.4-* packages.

Normally, packages can sit alongside libraries of different versions - many
people have python2.3 and 2.4 on the same system - but "jack" obviously has
problems with that arrangement.

I've the same problem with pilot-qof - v0.0.8 is incompatible with the (as yet
unreleased) pilot-link 0.12 because it includes some code FROM 0.12 which has
been backported to allow pilot-qof to work with the current pilot-link
version 0.11.8.

When pilot-link 0.12 is released, pilot-qof 0.1.0 can be released which would
also be incompatible with pilot-link 0.11.8.

These conflicts are not arbitrary - there are real problems beneath the
Conflicts: statement - which is why these should not be overridden.

--

Neil Williams