Re: [LUG] Backup Routines

Kevin Tunison wrote:
Hello All,
Hi Kevin
At the moment I am backing up a linux box (Mandriva 2006) with norton ghost
2002 to several cds.  This works OK, but I have to reboot, and the backup
strategy is manual.
One possible (still manual) solution is to use dar its a bit like tar but designed to split up the resultant darballs ? into slices that will fit on to your medium. I split my data into 1.5G darballs that i then burn to DVD(s) (3 darballs per DVD 5), using a script that automates as much as possible. I chose 1.5G as the mkisofs in sarge won't do individual files over 2G.

Dar also has some other backup options such as the possibility for incremental etc. have a peek at it.

Robin